Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Real Meaning of Christmas

I just stayed up until this ungodly hour (pun intended...you'll get why in a bit) because Nick Rizzo sent me this thing on Facebook about "The God Warrior" which is from a Trading Spouses episode (two actually) about a very devout Catholic woman who swaps with a very New Age semi-agnostic woman who is a hypnotherapist and astrologer.  To see it, on Christmas nonetheless, really opened up my eyes to just how ignorant and closed-minded people can be.  To get what I'm talking about you have to watch most of the episodes, but I think it is really summed up in one specific portion of the whole two-episode saga, where the devout Catholic woman's friends meet the New Age woman and they essentially belittle her and make her feel completely insignificant because their beliefs are not the same.  I attached the link so you can see exactly what I'm talking about (click on either the title of the entry or the "links to this post" at the bottom). 

As a Christian/Eastern Philosophy/whatever, it really made me just horribly sad to see that this kind of intolerance is accepted in certain circles.  I hate the word "tolerance" most of the time and usually think it is horrible to "be tolerant" of someone else because it assumes that you are merely putting up with the inferior ideals of other people rather than to "be accepting" of their views and understand that it is completely okay to have varying opinions/beliefs from someone else.  In this case, however, I would have loved it if Margaret, the devout Catholic woman from Louisiana, had even been tolerant.  I understand where this lady is coming from and don't think that her religion or beliefs are skewed; I went to an Evangelical convention and have been on a "mission trip" before, all tied with Christian groups and organisations.  I do find, however, the way she spins her religion and her beliefs to chastise and admonish others to be absolutely appalling and completely intolerant. 

I was always raised, both at home and in the public school system (mostly the latter), to be accepting of the various beliefs/backgrounds of others.  How does "rebuking someone in the name of the Lord" create peace and love in the world? Isn't that the true message that Jesus supposedly preached - love and acceptance, even if the person is "a sinner"? I guess the dogma got in the way somewhere along the lines, and it's really sad and disheartening, because I really do think the original and fundamental/core ideas of Christianity from its inception were good ones that led to a welcoming and accepting community of individuals who simply cared for each others' well-beings, regardless.  Maybe this is naive, but I really don't think so.  Who knows?

Anyway, sorry for the rant; it is just something I need to get off my chest after watching that.  

On a more positive note, I had a great Christmas Eve spent with friends and family - quite possibly the best Christmas I have ever had yet: my friends, Steve Isaac, Leah Isaac, and Kim Sweet came over and my sister's friends came over and we sang Christmas carols.  We had a great time.  I attribute my "best Christmas ever" mostly to the fact that I was not solely awaiting presents this year, as opposed to every year prior.  I also attribute it to the fact that I spent it with the people that really mattered most to me (at home at least).  I hope every Christmas hereafter follows suit so that I can build and strengthen my own sense of faith around the concepts of love, peace, acceptance, and community and not just the material.

This song represents this notion most clearly in my head.  I know it's really a New Year's song or is associated much more closely therewith than Christmas, however, I think it really sums up what I believe is most important, especially at this time of year:

"Auld Lang Syne"



1 comment:

Adam Gruschow said...

It's funny, the history channel has these specials on the history of Christmas, and they completely break it down and expose all of its origins. It basically goes to show that such dogmatic people can completely destroy a religion's meaning and intent. While I don't like to label myself a "Christian," I still uphold this philosphy if you will, because of my upbringing. Nothing will ever convince me that Jesus was a Messiah, answers or prayers, or that he died for our sins. Honestly, I believe that the divinity of Jesus in general completely weakens any message he had by poisoning it with such a proposterous claim. Anyone that suscribes to such dogma is wasting thier time and energy arguing the irrelevant portions of their so called religion, while they should be busy preaching love and acceptance. These kinds of people still make me angry, but I just make sure I'm nothing that even reflects that kind of attitude.

I always look forward to your post btw : )