Saturday, December 20, 2008

On Realisations, New and Old

So, it's been a few weeks since I've blogged, understandably so since these past three weeks at school were pretty busy and since all of the people I want to keep updated are essentially at school anyway.  To conclude the semester though, my most prevalent thought was, "Wow...we're growing up..." This was a very powerful realisation for me because with seniors graduating early and some of my friends transferring, I began to understand how precious my time with people in school is.  After graduating or transferring, the chances of seeing somebody you really care about a lot goes down significantly, not to be pessimistic but rather realistic.  I think one of my goals for next semester is to really cherish my time...with everyone.  I can get pretty set in my ways with the convenience of a tightly knit, close group of friends but I think I really want to branch out as much as possible.  I'm not saying, of course, that I want to have 30 good friends instead of five to six really close ones; I just want to make sure that I really am putting in as much time with everyone as possible and not just sticking to what's convenient.  

Another goal I have next for next semester is to just stop being lazy in general.  I think I made decent progress as a human being this semester and learned a lot about myself and who I am, but I also think that I could have achieved and accomplished so much more than I did.  My grades slipped a bit and I became a really big procrastinator.  I am investing in one of those 15-minute-by-15-minute planners and rediscovering that work ethic that I've lost since going to college in general.  I want to practice everyday and get huge, cumulative projects done piece-by-piece throughout the entire span of the semester, like I'm supposed to, rather than scrambling at the end of it.  I feel that I can really start making progress as a musician and as a student in general if I really just get back to that sense of drive I used to have.  

Concerning being home, however, I am glad I am home since these last few weeks were really crazy.  I just need to be grounded sometimes, and I think being back in my real room at home always does that for me.  I realised how much I associate peace and solitude with my room and I'm glad I've been able to create such a space in my life.  It's quite integral for me as a human being to just sit, alone, doing something for myself only in my own little bubble.  On that vein, here is my quotation for this entry:

"Musicians must be seekers of solitude." - Dr. Paula Crider


2 comments:

Liz Day said...

even when you are at school you need to keep updating this otherwise i do not know about your life.. and i am most important, duh. =P

Adam Gruschow said...

it honestly is nice be home and in solitude for once. it's actually good even though i'm not a huge fan of it. Too bad my room is freezing cold though >:/