Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wrapping-Up in Meditation

Tonight I went to Kim's for a meditation session through "Friends for Life", a breast cancer support group that Kim's mom founded and runs.  I just need to remind myself of a few things that the meditation guide said tonight for my own self-improvement, should I one day look back on this:
1) Begin each day by counting your blessings.  If you have gratitude, such a strong and positive force, then it makes you more fortuitous against negative forces that you may encounter throughout the day.
2) My goal for this year is to be more open and trusting with the people closest to me in my life, and to be open to those around me that I may not even know.
3) In the silence that one finds in meditation, one finds answers.  In prayers, one is talking; in meditation, one is listening.
4) In meditation (as in life), it is okay and encouraged to address the negative emotions that may arise during the session.  In fact, meditation is probably one of the best places to address such emotions; it helps to deal with these emotions in a healthy way that brings them to a point of acknowledgment.  Acknowledgement of the negative emotions will help you to address them, rather than let them fester deep within you and bore away at the positive ones.
5) One is in control of his own life, in every facet and way, because life is a summation of choices.  It is up to you to choose what is best, which is not always what is easiest. Each person holds the power within himself to choose what is best, it is just a matter of overcoming desires.

This meditation session has essentially summed up my entire week into one hour-long session.  All of my fears and doubts were addressed in this session and I really do feel renewed.  I've been reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo and it is also fitting in quite well with the theme of this week.  The concept of a Personal Legend has been consuming my thoughts, and it's nice to think that I am gaining experiences that are helping me to achieve my Personal Legend, yet are all part of the ride.  It's great.

" 'The Soul of the World is nourished by people's happiness.  And also by unhappiness, envy, and jealousy.  To realise one's destiny is a person's only real obligation.  All things are one.' "
- Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist, page 22

1 comment:

Adam Gruschow said...

one day, you will show me your ways